Just got my Buffalo WHR-HP-54 from Newegg yesterday, and today… I flashed it with Tomato firmware. I also found it to be much better and more intuitively designed than OpenWRT.
Here are the steps:
- Open a terminal keep this command ready (DO NOT PRESS ENTER). Note that 192.168.11.1 is the default IP of the Buffalo router:
tftp -v -m binary 192.168.11.1 -c put tomato-firmware.trx
- In another terminal ping the router:
- Then unplug the router.
- Wait 5 secs and plugin the router again and wait for ping to resume.
- Then immediately (within say 3 pings) pressed enter on the above tftp command.
- The pinging will stop and the tftp command will finish in less than 1 second. The router will reset itself, and it will reboot. This will take about 1-2 minutes. So do not disturb the router for at least 2 minutes.
- Then in browser goto 192.168.1.1.
That’s it! you should be able to see the Tomato screen.